Hi Steven,

Even if you've been unable to identify a survey of the type you seek, many
institutions trying to decide on a system build matrices to compare and
contrast systems they consider viable so you might be able to obtain a few
of those directly from institutions that have gone through that process.

Having said that, this is a heavyweight process that doesn't necessarily
lead to superior results. What makes a system work is that it's designed to
do what you need with the people and resources you h. Each DAM/repository
is at its core best suited for something -- publishing platform, create
exhibitions, community contributed research, manage multimedia, centrally
managed images, records management system, etc. Likewise, each has built in
assumptions of how staff, users, and other systems interact with it.

Don't be afraid to look outside the library world for solutions. All kinds
of industries have significant assets to manage and there are many options,
some of which may work much better than the usual suspects.

kyle