Hi, all,

The Research Ethics subgroup met and had a terrific discussion (thanks, all). We decided on the following deliverables:

* An explainer document and glossary, aimed at demystifying this area for interested librarians to whom it is new
* A set of principles for use of library patron data by (specifically) campus-based entities, with best practices to back up each principle
* Probably in collaboration with other subgroups (who are also discussing similar initiatives), a set of protocols/procedures for threat analysis and risk management around library patron data used in research

Additional participation is welcome! Our shared GDocs folder currently contains our full meeting minutes and the bare beginnings of the explainer/glossary. You can find it at https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1Ss3853w_-YvbaWRm4m7UFh3IPCswF4fx

Gabriel Gardner is starting a Zotero library for existing learning-analytics or patron-data principles documents and related material at https://www.zotero.org/groups/2144300/dlf_library_data_research_ethics to which you are all invited to contribute.

Jacob Levernier will represent our subgroup to the next main DLF Surveillance Tech meeting, as I will be traveling.

Dorothea

--
Dorothea Salo                                 [log in to unmask]
Faculty Associate, Information School