For most US groups, as far as I can tell, this is about cookies and
disclosure of what information is collected (e.g. on a privacy policy
linked throughout a website).

IANL, but a compliance-related email I received recently mentions the
limits to GDPR’s jurisdictional provisions:
"The GDPR only pertains to units 1) offering goods or services to persons
in the EU or 2) monitoring the behavior of persons in the EU (including
through cookies on the unit’s websites). If you don’t do either of those
things, the GDPR does not apply to your U.S.-based unit."