Are you interested in education and advocacy for more inclusive information systems in libraries, archives, and museums? The Design for Diversity project, supported by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services, focuses on the ways in which information systems embody and reinforce cultural norms, asking how we can design systems that account for diverse cultural materials and ways of knowing. Please join us for our Closing Review Forum and Writing Sprint, August 23 and 24, at Northeastern University in Boston.

As part of this project we are building a collaborative pedagogical toolkit to encourage inclusive and ethical practices in information sciences and system design. It will include an expanding set of materials such as sample assignments, curricular modules, suggested readings, and case studies. The Digital Library Federation will eventually host the Toolkit as a growing community-driven resource.

Join us at our two-day Closing Forum to hear about what we've learned through the past two years and to give a thorough review to the draft teaching and learning Toolkit before its final publication November 2018. The first day, August 23, will provide a forum for a broad review of the Toolkit’s development via panel discussion and interactive audience participation. We invite attendees interested in creating additional content for the Toolkit to apply to participate in the Writing Sprint on the second day, August 24. Both days are free and open to the public, and we can provide some funding to support travel for participants in the Writing Sprint.

Register for the first day of panels, feedback, and discussion (August 23) here:

https://northeastern.libcal.com/event/4243161

Apply separately for the second day Writing Sprint (August 24) here:

https://northeastern.libcal.com/event/4248938

We hope to see you here! If you cannot make the forum but are interested in participating in other ways, or have any other questions, please email both Cara Messina ([log in to unmask]) and Des Alaniz ([log in to unmask].)

Best,

Amanda

On behalf of the Design for Diversity team (Des Alaniz, Julia Flanders, Cara Messina, Amanda Rust, Sarah Sweeney) in the Digital Scholarship Group at Northeastern University Libraries

Amanda Rust (she/hers)

Assistant Director, Digital Scholarship Group

English & Digital Humanities Librarian

Northeastern University Libraries

[log in to unmask] / 617-373-8548