Colleagues,

I’m reviewing some of our backup strategies and am curious what others are doing. This is for backup, not long-term preservation. In particular, I’m thinking about two classes of storage: collections and working files. I’m thinking of collections as more traditional dark object storage, completed projects. For working files, I’m thinking about active digitization projects, cleanup projects, just-in-case files, etc.

For collections, do you use snapshots, replication to spinning disk, and/or tape backup? Incremental and/or full backup? How long do you retain each backups?

For working files, do you use snapshots, replication to spinning disk, and/or tape backup? Incremental and/or full backup? How long do you retain the backups?

Thanks!

Nathan

--------

Nathan Tallman
Digital Preservation Librarian

Product Owner, Digital Collection Repositories
Penn State University Libraries

(814) 865-0860