The University of Arizona Libraries seek applicants for the Head of the Technology Strategy and Services (TeSS) department. We are looking for someone with strong management and mentoring experience and demonstrated capacity for moving organizations in creative and strategic directions. This is an exciting opportunity to lead a group of approximately 23 FTE who provide the backbone of technology support to the Libraries. TeSS assists library staff in creating, managing, and maintaining technology services across five service areas: client services and support (including but not limited to the library helpline, staff and public desktop support, digital signage, meeting space installations, and event support); library services platforms (vendor- purchased products like Alma, Primo, and Illiad); digital collections and preservation (including the campus repository, online exhibits, and digital preservation workflows); instructional research and tools (including locally-developed software like the Library Tools Tab and Guide on the Side); and library websites (both the primary UAL website and several other departmental and special-purpose sites). The Head reports to the Vice Dean of the Libraries.

If successful, you will provide leadership for the assessment, procurement, development, and deployment of information technology strategies and tools within the UA Libraries and will be responsible for ensuring that department planning and work remains user-focused and furthers the strategic directions for the Libraries and campus. You should have a good understanding of the evolving technology needs in the higher education environment. We are a collaborative environment, and TeSS, in particular, works closely across all departments and units within the Libraries. You will collaborate with other department heads, the University Information Technology Services (UITS), and other partners within and beyond the U of A, and will support TeSS staff in doing the same. TeSS has recently reorganized and established more transparent planning structures to better meet the needs of the Libraries, and you will be responsible for assessing the success of these changes, and for making adjustments as needed. You will mentor and guide the professional development of TeSS staff and will serve as a member of the Libraries’ senior management team (Cabinet) to represent and advocate for TeSS’ needs and perspectives on Cabinet and to contribute to organization-wide decision-making. You will participate in consortial, regional, and national meetings to stay abreast of technology and program developments and trends and will represent the positions and interests of the University and the Libraries.

Technology Strategy and Services (TeSS)

TeSS currently consists of a ten-person Library Technology Operations group, providing traditional library service support for vendor-delivered systems and staff and public installations; and a thirteen-person Software Development & Delivery group, providing full-lifecycle support for open-source and locally-developed software deployments. Our department runs the gamut of IT services and skills, including client services support staff and applications systems analysts, web designers, software developers, and platform engineers. We work in close collaboration with professional staff from all of our campus libraries and library departments.

IT work at the UA Libraries occupies a fairly unique position on campus: we’re big enough to support a good- sized staff, we solve a broad spectrum of challenging problems, and we focus on medium-to-long-term solutions. Because the Libraries serve all of campus, we work across a broad array of problem domains and stakeholder groups. We are, in short, a good middle ground between distributed and central IT. We’re also a fairly idiosyncratic bunch, from various academic backgrounds (communications, psychology, classical philology, cultural studies, anthropology, astronomy, and media arts, amongst others). Our department includes former screenwriters, school teachers, Biosphere2 tour guides, and Lunar & Planetary Laboratory researchers.

Visit the University Libraries website to learn more about us.

Diversity Commitment:

At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. We translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we encourage diverse candidates to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.

CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES

Provides overall leadership and vision for the Technology Strategies and Services (TeSS) department.
Manages approximately 23 FTE (not including student workers), directly supervises 4 FTE, and monitors the organizational effectiveness of the department.
Recruits, hires, and onboards new employees as needed.
Oversees a broad portfolio of services and projects to support the technology needs of the UA Libraries.
Actively leads efforts to integrate Library and University technology strategies into programs to enhance the Libraries' support to our users.
Sets priorities for the department in consultation with library leadership.
Manages a technology budget of approximately $970K.
Works with TeSS and other stakeholders to use a standard suite of tools and processes for product and application development and service provision.
Participates as a member of the Libraries’ senior management team (Cabinet), representing TeSS needs and perspectives on Cabinet as well as contributing to organization-wide decision making.
Advocates for Libraries' information technology initiatives, services, staff, and partnerships internally and externally.
Fosters professional development of staff to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing environment.
Represents the Libraries in University committees, collaborative technology initiatives across the University, and in national and international efforts.
Assesses and communicates the impact and contributions of TeSS to the Libraries, the University, and beyond.
Anticipates, initiates, and responds to changes in the environment, and keeps abreast of new trends that impact higher education and the library profession to ensure that the Libraries and the University achieve their goals.

Embraces ambiguity in a changing environment and is committed to continual professional development, improvement, and learning.
The University of Arizona Libraries supports the UA’s diversity and inclusiveness strategic initiatives designed to create an inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, and students. The candidate is expected to support diversity and inclusiveness efforts in the department and college.
Other duties as assigned.

KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES

Develops and builds knowledge of current trends in information technology within academic research libraries and higher education.
Knowledge of agile methodologies for software development.
Develops and builds knowledge of the typical library technology stack (e.g. Library Services Platform (Alma/Primo) Iliad, EZProxy, repository and digital collections software).
Knowledge of IT security issues and practice.
Knowledge of user experience principles and practices.
Project and portfolio management skills.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
Ability to work with multiple stakeholders and to prioritize competing needs.
Ability to coach and mentor direct and indirect reports.
Ability to work in a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives.
Positive attitude and strong demonstration of Our Values: Collaboration, Continuous Learning, Diversity, Innovation, and Integrity.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
Five or more years of experience leading, supervising, coaching, and mentoring information technology personnel.
Substantial experience managing technology budgets.
Substantial experience in one or more of the following areas: software development, systems administration, library services platforms, or client systems and support.
Experience in higher education or in cultural institutions.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS

Advanced degree in a relevant field.
Experience in an academic research library environment.

----
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/30143-department-head-technology-strategy-and-services