I appreciate the information about the change in Chrome. I agree that there
are use cases, especially on shared machines, where it could be a big
concern. However, I have personally resisted getting upset, despite the
furor around me, because I don't feel it fundamentally changes anything for
me (except make it easier to be logged in the way I expect).

As someone who maintains two Google accounts (MPOW uses Google Apps and I
have a personal Gmail/Google account), having separate profiles in Chrome
meant I could run two browser instances side by side, each with their own
synced bookmarks and login state. Profiles work best when you're logged
into Chrome (although you can still get away being logged out, even in
Chrome 69).

I use a 3rd party password manager, so I don't sync passwords, payment
methods, or addresses through Chrome. I have a browser extension that
purges my browser history when I shut down the browser. I guess cookies
could be a concern -- sometimes database access through the proxy will get
a corrupted session and I have to purge the cookies out, but that happens
to my colleagues once in a while and I suspect they don't all use sync or
run multiple accounts. Again, I use a browser extension to delete cookies
or, rarely, bare metal delete the history, sessions, and cookies.

I confess being occasionally worried about what Google knows about me and
reading various articles about the change hasn't reassured me. One article
made a good point about the change making a mess of Chrome's previously
very reasonable (and readable) privacy policy. And it raises the issue
about Google not adequately notifying anybody that the change was coming.

Tom