Hey Everyone,

I'm going to be so old skool about this and ask this question on the mailing list, but I'm curious to know if you believe your work is more coder/programmer or systems/applications analyst or project management type work? I'm also curious about what types of job titles you have that do/do not correlate to the work you do on a day to day. (I'm painting with broad strokes I guess.)

My job title has pretty much been systems librarian since 2001 and in that time have more closely identified with systems analyst type tasks. I can code but it's mostly in aid of fixing broken things, not creating new applications. I guess I also LIKE fixing broken things MORE than making new ones. I'm also sort of kind of a project manager since I've now assisted with implementation of perhaps a dozen or more library applications (including I think 4 ILSs).

I'm trying NOT to reignite that whole "imposter syndrome" conversation but focus more on our actual skills and experience (believe me, that previous paragraph, while empirically true makes me feel all wormy inside.)
I'm contemplating all this in hopes of better marketing myself for future and current job possibilities (as in, maybe I should not apply for systems librarian jobs any more since I am not really a full time coder but more of a "fixer.")

Thoughts anyone?

Christina Salazar
Librarian About Town
California State University, Channel Islands
John Spoor Broome Library
805-437-3198