Hello fellow ToS-ers,

The Instruction & Outreach group has held several meetings in the past few months in which we have discussed our group's goals and trajectory.

Our primary goal is to encourage the integration of more privacy-related instruction into library instruction. To achieve this, we propose to create modular instruction curricula that (whenever possible) integrate with existing available digital privacy education. This extensible approach is designed to let a small group have an impact on the community, provide a critical translation component, and maintain the sustainability and scalability of our group.

Some example topics we might develop into modules are:
--Avoiding surveillance in higher-ed
--You've been hacked! Now what?
--Privacy while browsing the web
--Combatting domestic violence and cyberstalking

These can be full-fledged lesson plans, or they can be small segments that slot into regular library instruction. For instance, we might develop a small unit that addresses relevant privacy tools that can be incorporated into larger instruction on Google or database searches.

We'd like to host our output on DLF's OSF page to maintain accessibility and allow for integration with other open-source content.

When you have a moment, we'd love to hear your feedback on this plan. Is this curriculum something you'd like to get involved in? Do you think we left something out? Let us know!

Thanks,
Paige and Peter

Paige Walker
Digital Collections & Preservation Librarian
Boston College
617-552-3306

To unsubscribe from the DLF-SURVEILLANCE-TECH list, click the following link:
https://lists.clir.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DLF-SURVEILLANCE-TECH