I learned the basics when I was a cataloger.  It went something like this:

Use SQL to query catalog database to identify some bit of bad data.  Fix
data manually.
Use SQL to query as above. Decide there's gotta be an easier way to fix,
identify a tool and learn enough to fix with a script.
Use SQL to query, use script to fix, decide we need a regular report to
identify new records with the bad data, learn about cron to automate,
logging, email reports.
Etc.

I find it much more motivating to learn by fixing an existing problem or
make an existing workflow more efficient and hands-off.  Once you start
thinking about problems in that way, the specific tools/languages/etc
should be whatever makes sense.  Eventually you build up a pool of
experience that makes every next project a little easier than the last
one.

-------
Mark Sandford
Systems Librarian