Thank you all so much! This has been super helpful.

I also find that solving real problems tends to be the best way, that's how I've learned most of the SQL that I know how to write. I'm lucky enough to have a really great dev team, so there's always a balance of "I'll figure this out" and things needing to just get done.

Happy to keep the advice flowing. I can't be the only awkward, curious newbie.

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Mayo
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2018 1:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Recommendations for the New Kid

My one complaint about codeacademy and other similar tutorial sites is that
they can be problematic for the true beginner, in a way that folks with
more knowledge and experience forget is a problem. At least when I was
using it to learn Python in 2013-ish, codeacademy completely glossed over
the fact that you were using an interpreter built into the web browser
interface. So you could learn syntax and write things on their system that
work in their system, but not gain any understanding about how to select an
IDE to author your own scripts, or how to run them locally once you'd
written them. I didn't *really* learn how to usefully use Python until I
took an LIS course on it that covered those basics.

That being said - I don't know of anywhere on the web that does a good job
of disseminating information like that, so I guess there needs to be a more
general awareness that when you're looking for information about technology
learning, you need to make sure you're also asking questions like, "what
programs do I need to install to make working with this language easier"
and "if I'm not running the script from the program I wrote it in, what
command line tools do I need to download to let me run a script written in
this language". If anybody knows of good central resources for that, it
would be a great thing to share.

Best,
Chris

--