From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Tod Olson
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 10:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Default, preferred, or supported "enterprise" browser?

Could you say something more about the scope of your question? Are you concerned about what browsers are deployed on staff machines, or about which browsers are supported by the applications you deploy for staff or public use?

Our campus supported web browser policy is here, for applications that we deploy: https://webservices.uchicago.edu/services/supported_browser_policy/. I notice Edge is not included, but I'm uncertain how recently this has been updated.

Within the Library, we periodically look at our web logs to gather what we can about actual use: trends in browsers, mobile use of different sites and applications, that sort of thing. We diverge somewhat from the global web stats in some ways, e.g. more Safari than the global average, less mobile on some sites than others.

One practical question is who is the audience for any site/application, and who is building it? If your concern is about what browsers you support for public-facing applications that you build or buy, you probably want to target a broader array of web browsers. If you are talking about applications that are staff-facing, maybe broad browser support isn't as important and you can declare there are fewer options. But it would depend on the particulars.

-Tod

Tod Olson <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Systems Librarian
Interim Director for Integrated Library Systems University of Chicago Library