From: Sarah Middleton <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Digital Preservation community celebrates World Digital Preservation Day
Date: November 29, 2018 at 1:01:26 AM EST
To: <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

29th November marks World Digital Preservation Day<https://dpconline.org/events/world-digital-preservation-day> 2018 (WDPD2018). Organized as a way to celebrate the ordinarily uncelebrated work of a large, growing and widely dispersed digital preservation community, the day will bring together individuals and institutions from across the world, highlighting and profiling the importance of their work.

Digital materials remain a core commodity for industry, commerce and government. They are fundamental for research, the law and medicine. The creative industries, cultural heritage and the media depend on reliable access to digital materials, while families and friends extend and sustain their relationships through digital interactions. The opportunities created by these digital materials rely on the work of the digital preservation community.

Co-ordinated by the Digital Preservation Coalition (DPC) and supported by digital preservation networks around the world, World Digital Preservation Day is open to participation <https://dpconline.org/news/open-invitation-to-wdpd2018> across all sectors, from anyone interested in securing our digital legacy.

"Every day, we create, use and curate data. We take that process for granted,” explains Head of Advocacy and Communications for the DPC, Sarah Middleton. “World Digital Preservation Day is a wonderful way of reminding ourselves to stop and think about all the work that goes into making data available and the opportunities that creates.”

World Digital Preservation Day provide an insight into the daily activities of those involved with or thinking about digital preservation. Data creators, curators and consumers from around the world will showcase their own ‘Digital Preservation Day’ through numerous events and workshops, sharing their experiences through a series of blog posts, tweets and Instagram messages, all using the hashtag #WDPD2018.

WDPD2018 is just one of the ways the DPC raises awareness of the strategic, cultural and technological issues which make up the digital preservation challenge.  The DPC supports members through other advocacy activities, community engagement, workforce development, good practice and standards, capacity-building and partnership; helping members to deliver resilient long-term access to digital content and services and derive enduring value from their digital assets.

For a detailed program and more information about World Digital Preservation Day visit the event page on the DPC website<https://dpconline.org/events/world-digital-preservation-day>, follow the hashtags #WDPD2018 and #DPA2018 on Twitter for updates or contact [log in to unmask]@dpconline.org<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for more details.

*Apologies for cross-posting*

Sarah Middleton
Head of Communications and Advocacy
Digital Preservation Coalition
37 Tanner Row, York, YO1 6WP

Tel: 01904 601952<tel:01904%20601952>

http://www.dpconline.org/
Twitter: @Sarah_DPC

[cid:[log in to unmask]]          [cid:[log in to unmask]]

Find out the Digital Preservation Awards winners on World Digital Preservation Day, 29th November 2018!<https://dpconline.org/events/digital-preservation-awards>

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent and does not constitute legal advice.  We cannot accept any responsibility for viruses, so please scan all attachments. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the DPC.
Registered in England No: 4492292