I would advise against using 001 for this purpose and using 035 instead.
Although use of 001 varies, it's most often used as an internal matchpoint.
This means using it all but guarantees that the field already has a
competing use in the system -- making it a questionable idea to accept
them. Be aware that systems may have validation or normalization rules that
choke on your syntax or significantly modify the value.

It's not safe to presume any specific behavior on ingest into another
system as this is determined by whoever set up the load process. It's
totally legit for a system to spit the record out, strip the field,
normalize it (e.g. strip nonnumeric data), map it to another field, or
accept it as is.

Kyle