Hi all,

Can anyone explain the relationship between IFLA LRM, BIBFRAME, and PREMIS?

From what I can tell, IFLA LRM is not actually a metadata schema. Rather,
it is just a list of top-level entities involved in a bibliographic
resource and how they are related to each other (e.g. a *work* has many
*expressions*, and an *expression* has one *work*).

BIBFRAME is an actual metadata schema containing elements like title,
author, etc. that describe the higher-level entities defined by IFLA LRM.
Except does it? BIBFRAME 2.0 was conceptualized in 2016, and the IFLA LRM
was published in December 2017. If I were to use BIBFRAME today to describe
a book, would that metadata be IFLA LRM-compliant?

My question about PREMIS is much the same. Is it compliant with IFLA LRM?
Furthermore, is it possible to catalog with PREMIS and BIBFRAME together?
For instance, if I have a BIBFRAME representation of a book at
www.mysite.com/mybook, can I use that URI as the PREMIS Object?

Maybe these are questions that are not fully answered yet because of the
lack of concrete BIBFRAME implementations.

Joshua Welker
Library Systems and Discovery Coordinator
James C. Kirkpatrick Library
University of Central Missouri
Warrensburg, MO 64093
JCKL 2260