1. I would add that what is called "AI" nowadays is not what was meant
when the term was invented.  "AI" now is just another name for
statistics and statistics (especially in disguise) is very dangerous
given that untrained human beings are very bad at statistics.  I would
rather that people spent less time promoting "AI" and more time becoming
aware of cognitive biases and how they infect everything we think.  I
love the book title "Don't believe everything you think".

2. We are not even close and most of that technology should be
classified as torturing the data until it confesses.  I was very
disappointed when I started to read a book on deep learning with Python
and discovered it was just about choosing canned statistical analyses to
get what you were already looking for.  I recommend googling for tests
that show that Alexa, Siri, and Hey, Google aren't as good as the
commercials might lead you to believe, or why self-driving cars are not
coming any time soon.

3. Technology is no substitute for serious human thought.  Metadata will
not save us.  On this Cory Doctorow's Metacrap is my touchstone.  Also
Fred Brooks's "No Silver Bullet" was right in 1986 and it is still right.

I'm not saying that techniques that come out of AI research aren't worth
using, but that we should use them instead of being used by them and
those that hype them.

Chris