Thank you, Eric, for sharing this. At least for supervised machine learning
algorithms, a training set is needed--and the labels applied to it are
certainly a form of metadata. In fact, I think it makes sense for libraries
to start devoting staff time to developing robust training sets to support
AI-driven data processing and analysis workflows. This seems like an area
in which Technical Services units could contribute.

Also, if metadata is not necessary, why would we use machine learning to
create and manage it? :)

Best regards,
Tim

--