Hi everyone,

Our next all-group meeting for Technologies of Surveillance will be at Thursday January 10th 11-12 PT, 12-1 MT, 1-2 CT, 2-3 ET. A webex invitation with instructions for signing on is below this email. Once again, we want to give a huge shout-out and thank you to our out-going coleader Yasmeen Shorish<https://www2.lib.jmu.edu/users/shorisyl/index.html> for all her amazing ideas, hard work, and leadership over the last year. We introduced Scott Young as our incoming co-leader for this next year in the last email, but if you want to learn more about Scott, here is his website<https://scottwhyoung.com/>.

We formed our subgroups about a year ago to examine the different areas about privacy in library technology. We’d like to take a minute and check in on those areas and ask a few questions; please see the survey link below. Part of doing this is meant to gather feedback in a form that’s not a group meeting. Sometimes it’s hard to bring up new ideas in a web conference in front of a bunch of people you only kind of know. Feel free to fill out all, some, or none of it, but please do so by the end of the day on January 8th. Scott and I will compile the feedback and report out to the group what you all said. Ultimately, what we do with the feedback is up to you. Some groups have committed to specific outcomes and may not want to change direction at this point, while others may be open to doing that. It’s each sub group’s call how to proceed. Or, if there’s an strong pattern that we need to create a different subgroup, we can do that too.

That said, we’ve talked about wanting to collate a document for the community and push it out by the next DLF in October of 2019, so there’s some timing and logistical considerations if we want to go in that direction. We can discuss all this in depth at the group meeting. We’ll start by giving a very short subgroup update (about 2 minutes per group), move onto the feedback gathered from the survey, and then open it up for group discussion.

If you have any questions of suggestions, please contact Scott or Shea anytime.

Brief pre-meeting survey: https://montana.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_b2TcIAJEemE0VLL

Looking forward to seeing you all,

Scott and Shea

How to join the meeting: