If anyone is interested in the answers I received, here is a summary, based on 7 responses:

First, have you been comprehensive or selective with the resources indexed?

Five libraries seek to be comprehensive. One that is more selective made an earlier attempt to be comprehensive but found that duplication and unreliable or unnecessary resources confused users. One institution maintains two separate discovery profiles: one that is comprehensive, for advanced researchers, and one that is much more limited, for basic researchers.

Second, have you included large quantities of non-full-text resources?

Four libraries include index-only resources. Two smaller colleges limit only to full-text resources. The institution with two separate profiles includes indexes in the comprehensive profile but not in the other.

Third, have you deliberately and specifically included Open Access resources in your discovery service?

All 7 libraries include OA resources. Some limit them to specific collections such as the DOAJ or to OER specifically relevant to their curriculum.

On the whole, the consensus seems to be to provide as much content as can be reliably accessed. If an inexperienced audience is assumed, some libraries reduce the inclusion of non-full-text resources to a minimum. Libraries generally include Open Access resources as long as these can be managed with minimal effort.

Robert Heaton

Collection Management Librarian

Utah State University Libraries