Hi all-

Code4Lib’s Spark in the Dark (#sparkinthedark) informal crew of data tech pirates, mermaids, Gritty impersonators, + witches welcomes you to 2019 with the restart of our book club!

For our second book club book, we will be reading Safina Noble's Algorithms of Oppression. Our first 2019 meeting will be Friday, January 18th at 3 PM Eastern / 12 PM Pacific / 9 PM Central European, and we expect participants will have read the Introduction & have their calendars at their side to help parse out readings for following sessions. More information on the Spark in the Dark book club, including logistics and preparatory (optional) questions, can be found here: https://github.com/spark4lib/spark4lib/wiki/Reading-Group.

And in case you missed it, what on earth is Spark in the Dark? We are an informal group of Code4Lib-ers interested in data technologies like Apache Spark, Apache Kafka, Hadoop, etc. You can find us in the Code4Lib Slack's "Spark in the Dark” channel (#sparkinthedark). When there is availability and interest, we have informal meetings where we walk through a relevant project or question, workshops on relevant data technologies at conferences, a book club for having friends to talk about some rad publications, or other relevant get togethers. It all started in the sunny aftermath of Code4Lib Los Angeles, and we’re still together - and hoping you’ll join us!

All best & hope to see you there,
Christina

--
Christina Harlow