Maybe it is time to innovate and rethink 'discovery' services rather than
simply providing an open source replication of existing proprietary
approaches? A major long-term study of how readers discover scholarly
content noted that use of library discovery services may have peaked in 2012
and is now in *decline*. (See: 'How Readers Discover Content in Scholarly
Publications'. By Tracy Gardner and Simon Inger. Renew Publishing
Consultants. August 2018)
http://renewpublishingconsultants.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/How-Readers
-Discover-Content-2018-Published-180903.pdf

There are other approaches.

Library centric reading/resource list systems
In my work with academic libraries I have noted (presented and written
about) a big increase in the deployment of library centric reading/resource
list systems which, at least for many undergraduates, are now the
'discovery' systems of choice. Unlike (almost?) all catalogue/discovery
systems they helpfully provide a *patron context* to discovery--i.e. the
course/module the student is on--even the year/week of the course. In the
main (notably undergrad') students love this more straightforward and
relevant approach and may never use a library 'discovery' service.

In addition these library reading lists solutions integrate closely with the
university's learning management system and often provide access to
'learning resources' not typically found in the library catalogue/discovery
system. Titles can be annotated  with additional metadata - typically added
by faculty - such as 'essential' or 'background' [reading]. There is barely
a university in Australia or the UK that doesn’t deploy this (complimentary)
approach to discovery --though the US and other countries seem to be lagging
behind. There is more information on the reading/resource list page of
Higher Education Library Technology (HELibTech)
https://helibtech.com/reading_resource_lists

AI
Yewno https://www.yewno.com/discover/ is an interesting AI based approach to
providing a different kind of discovery environment. A number of libraries
are using it. Yewno harvests 'millions of scholarly articles, books, and
databases across virtually all academic fields' to allow users to 'navigate
intuitively across concepts, relationships, and fields, learning from
resources that might have otherwise been overlooked'.

Voice
With voice search becoming ubiquitous (Gartner predicts that by 2020 "30% of
web browsing sessions" will be voice
https://www.gartner.com/smarterwithgartner/gartner-predicts-a-virtual-world-
of-exponential-change/ is any library doing work on this?--e.g. using the
growing number of tools to optimise their website and/or catalogue/discovery
service for voice search or to develop voice user interfaces (VUIs). It
seems like library content and tech providers are working on this.. (AI and
voice search featured at the recent ConTech conference in London)

Linked data
Finally there was a lot of talk a few years back about the opportunity to
enhance discovery using linked data and a number of catalogues offered a
linked data set - but I'm not aware of anything in place yet that looks
really transformative in terms of the user experience of *discovery*.

Ken
Ken Chad Consulting Ltd http://www.kenchadconsulting.com Tel:
+44(0)7788727845
Twitter: @kenchad | Skype: kenchadconsulting |Linkedin: