UNT Digital Libraries and the Portal to Texas History are starting to test the waters here too with a ton of content to catch up on. Early days.

Vendors: We've tested 3Play and then rev.com.  At the latest Accessing Higher Ground (AHG) conference, the latter was getting talked up a lot by ODA office folks as their current preferred vendor given speedy turnaround and cost ratio.

Automation: I've played with https://github.com/agermanidis/autosub with decent~ish output given a few test cases. I know there are a few amazon-related demos out there too. No formal workflows on my end yet, but I think your outlined approach is generally what my preferred option  would look like too. Hope to hear more from you/others on what they are trying.

digression: I note a handful of folks I talked to at AHG didn't think OCRing text in image content was good enough for real compliance when they saw the gibberish it often spits out, which would lead me to believe automated efforts for A/V would leave us open to the same sorts of complaints, but we do what we can, right?). Also captions/transcriptions are only going to get us 1/2 way to WCAG AA given the need for audio-descriptions. Maybe text-to-speech here? 3play has a plugin along those lines.

Other issues on my plate: looking at cleanup and audio-desc. Script authoring (probably will use WGBH Cadet); other outliers like doing webvtt chapters; what webvtts should look like for music where you want to give substantial info (i.e  movements in symphonies, describing affect in a French Aria, or audio-describing a performance with something better than "[jazz music playing]"; and tangentially to your original question: what does it look like to hire/contract and ASL signer to make derivative files to meet that need if/when it comes up.

As to storage, our webvtts are going into a local gitlab repo, and then we have a few local scripts to push them onto public DL filesystem. I haphazardly dream of a future scenario where the DL public interface provided links from automated transcripts to the git repo for some sort of crowdsource cleanup effort. Side note: ODA office folks looked at me with a lot of puzzlement when I asked how they were archiving/storing captioned media!

For now at least, non captioned A/V have links in their descriptive records to make requests, which we'll typically honor ASAP with a vendor supplied file. https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc700196/ (see sidebar for request link). For now this just populates a simple webform with some boilerplate.

Interested if you can share more of what you are up to.

Cheers,

William Hicks

Digital Libraries: User Interfaces
University of North Texas