While this is true in the general case, we're again talking about Special Collections and the needs of the requester. Audio descriptions are extremely difficult to do as the ideal is to never interrupt other relevant sounds in the media, especially dialogue. That's a unique challenge of being precise and fast. My recommendation would be to make audio descriptions available upon request just as with more quality captioning. There is currently no means of automating audio descriptions even of low quality. AI tools just aren't there yet, and frankly, I'm a little scared of the idea of a world where AI can view a random scene and describe what is happening.

Katherine Deibel | PhD
Inclusion & Accessibility Librarian
Syracuse University Libraries
T 315.443.7178