At Getty Digital, we're re-imagining how we can use software to provide a, connected, user-centered experiences for visitors and art enthusiasts as they explore the rich information at the Getty, both on site and online.

We are looking for a developer to lead a team of software engineers focused on the narrative, interpretive, and visitor-focused experiences across the Getty.  This team of four is responsible for the core Getty.edu website, as well as exhibitions, digital publications, and other initiatives, including a leadership role in a full redesign of the Getty’s core digital properties.  This team is highly collaborative, with regular co-working sessions, code review, and pair programming as common practices.

As team lead, you will report to the Assistant Director of Information Systems, taking direction from the Enterprise Software Architect.  You will be responsible for working with the Enterprise Software Architect and the other team leads to define the scope, plan the implementation, and execute major initiatives across the Getty, collaborating with stakeholders across the Getty.  You will also be responsible for leading a talented team of software developers, helping implement policies and best practices. You will work to improve the overall quality of experience both for our users and for our developers.  You will also be responsible for maintaining existing software infrastructure and helping prioritize and execute the migration of these systems onto new platforms.  You will be responsible for fostering a collaborative environment and for working with subject matter experts across the Getty's programs. You will also be responsible for the day-to-day oversight and mentoring of the team, helping them grow as developers and experts, both at the Getty and within the field.

Our software stack is Vue.js on the front end, with backend implementations in Python, data and content provided via APIs, and custom search interfaces using ElasticSearch.  Our applications are hosted via AWS. The Getty is committed to using Linked Open Data across our architecture, and to the use of IIIF for access to rich media assets.

The Getty is among the most prestigious cultural heritage organizations in the world, dedicated to furthering the study of the history of art. You will work on an amazing campus amongst fabulous art, architecture, and archives, collaborating with world-class scientists, curators, librarians, archivists, and academics.  We offer 4 weeks of vacation a year, every other Friday off, excellent benefits, and a very strong commitment to balancing work and personal life.

Major Job Responsibilities

Manage a team of developers building web applications
Provide input into strategic digital initiatives across the Getty
Design, build, and maintain an ecosystem of applications that provide interpretation, access, and storytelling around the Getty and its campuses, collections, exhibitions, and publications
Participate in the day-to-day development and testing of applications
Gather requirements, draft systems documentation, and create user stories
Mentor developers and teach best practices

Qualifications

A deep interest in the work of cultural heritage
8-12 years software development experience
Strong expertise with Vue.js, Node.js, NPM, & Webpack
Strong expertise with HTML & CSS, including the use of pre-processors
Experience with a backend-scripting language, such as Python, Ruby, or PHP
Experience developing dynamic, API-driven, JavaScript web applications
Experience with unit and end-to-end testing frameworks
Experience with Git and GitHub
Experience with REST APIs & HTTP
Tact, diplomacy, and interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop positive relationships within a large organization
Ability to multitask, manage priorities, and meet deadlines

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities

Experience leading a team of software developers
Expertise with Python
Experience with Docker, AWS, and continuous integration
Knowledge of accessibility standards and internationalization
Expertise with headless content management systems
Experience with RDF, Web Annotation, Linked Data, and/or Graph data structures
Experience with the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF)
A deep understanding of museum, library and archival practice, systems, and metadata standards

----
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/31772-software-architect-interpretive-team