This is why defining the policy of access is critical. If these digitized
collections are intended to be published for the entire public, the needs
of the (original) requester is not sufficient; the federal mandates require
full accessibility as best to your ability without undue burden.

If you aren’t making these available for the entire public, and your
policies are well documented about that restriction and the request
process, then you have more flexibility to balance the burden of making a
collection accessible based on the needs of the specific user.

Tim

Tim McGeary
Associate University Librarian for Digital Strategies and Technology
Duke University