Hi Todd,
I have worked on two projects that might serve your purpose.

https://github.com/kirschbombe/flaneur
- It is a Jekyll theme. You can see an implementation of it running here:
https://citystoriesucla.github.io/lyricalmap. This theme can be easily
customized.

https://github.com/dnoneill/annotate
- This is only usable if you have a IIIF server setup for the image you
want to use. You can annotate the image using this resource
Then you can take the annotations and load them into an interactive viewer
using this resource: https://github.com/NCSU-Libraries/iiif-annotation.
There are a number of examples on the website:
https://ncsu-libraries.github.io/iiif-annotation/ and it has multiple
settings avaliable.

Niqui