The Internet Archive is looking for an expert software engineer to join the Front-End UX Team.

You will be a core developer on Archive.org (a Top 250 website), responsible for ideating and implementing new site features in collaboration with others, as well as maintaining the health and efficiency of the existing site. This is a rare opportunity to become a critical member of a small team making a huge impact in the world, and as part of the Internet Archive, you'll be joining a diverse group of informed, creative, engaging, wickedly smart individuals.

At the Internet Archive, we believe that access to knowledge is a fundamental human right. We are building a digital library of everything, which anyone can upload to for free. We provide free access to researchers, historians, scholars, and the general public. In the Wayback Machine, we've saved over 330 billion web pages. We protect our users' privacy and provide special access to books for the print-disabled. A million people visit Archive.org every day.

Our headquarters are located in San Francisco, and there we host public forums, art exhibitions, performances, film screenings, and other community events. However, our 150+ employees span the globe.

Responsibilities:

Developing and maintaining the Archive.org website
Implementing new user-facing features in the main codebase as well as via our front-end component platform
Maintaining and evolving select back-end API endpoints and middleware
Integrating with external services, such as payments, mailing, and CRM software
Writing and delivering high-quality software along with automated tests
Collaborating with stakeholders and designers to develop new site features
Participating in regular code reviews and software planning/retrospectives
Responding to internal organization and external partner site needs
Reducing technical debt
Being a role model for effective and collaborative engineering practices

Requirements:

3+ years of relevant work experience in a collaborative software development environment
Excellent full-stack coding skills (PHP, semantic HTML, ES6 Javascript, well-structured CSS/LESS, some Python)
Passionate about web standards, front-end technologies, code quality
Expertise in at least 1 front-end "framework" (e.g. React, Vue, etc.)
Solid OOP skills with awareness of Functional Programming patterns
Strong background in automated testing and test-driven design (TDD)
Excellent problem-solving and debugging skills
Experience implementing mobile responsive designs
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Comfort working in a loosely structured environment requiring autonomy and initiative
Willingness to learn and change, reach compromise with others
Remote work with periodic on-sites possible, depending on candidate

Preferred Skills:

Product design and development experience
Interest in user experience (UX) design
Front-end bundling/deploy technologies (Webpack, Babel)
Accessibility (WCAG, WAI-ARIA, A11Y, WebAIM, etc.)
Docker/Kubernetes containerization
Decentralized web
CiviCRM
Stripe, Paypal, cryptocurrency platforms
Git, GitLab
JIRA, Kanban

Benefits & Perks:

The Internet Archive provides a comprehensive benefits package including: PTO, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, FSA, commuter, STD, LTD, 403B/Roth accounts. Work-life balance is important to us. For engineers working at HQ, we offer catered Friday lunches and work-at-home Wednesdays.

The Internet Archive is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V/L/G/B/T and will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Chance Ordinance.

----
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/31993-software-engineer