Thanks for asking Ben,

Yeah, we looked at other microformats.  I don't think RDFa came up on our
radar for this use case, but the group I work with has implemented that for
other projects.  Our specific narrow target was "something zotero can parse
<https://github.com/zotero/translators/search?q=%22function+doWeb%22&unscoped_q=%22function+doWeb%22>"
from the html of a web page, and we happened to already be generating
openurls for a number of our records. So COinS was the most expedient
option.  Other options that looked like they would work had been unapi, or
extending the Zotero csl-json translator to examine script tags within web
pages.

Best wishes,

Albert