Dear NDSA,

This Spring and Fall, the BitCurator Consortium (BCC)
<https://bitcuratorconsortium.org/> will facilitate a series of online
round-table discussions on topics of interest for born-digital cultural
heritage communities.

Our first round-table looks at “The Ethics of Born-Digital Collecting.”
We're incredibly thrilled to welcome Alexandra Dolan-Mescal
<http://alexdolanmescal.com/> (Documenting the Now <https://www.docnow.io/>),
Yvonne Ng (Witness.org <http://witness.org/>), Jessica Venlet (UNC Chapel
Hill <https://guides.lib.unc.edu/prf.php?account_id=121448>), and Lauren
Work (University of Virginia <https://www.library.virginia.edu/staff/lw2cd>)
who will discuss their experiences and perspectives acquiring, preserving,
and facilitating access to sensitive, community-driven born-digital
content. The format will be a presentation/discussion facilitated by
Educopia <https://educopia.org/> and BCC staff.

Discussion questions we plan to address include:

   - What kinds of ethical concerns do practitioners face in collecting
   born-digital materials?
   - Does the appraisal process change (or need to change) with sensitive,
   born-digital materials? Why or why not?
   - What are the risks for archivists and documentarians working in these
   spaces?
   - How do you communicate with and offer support for creators of
   “content”?
      - When is the right time to communicate with activists?
      - How do you compensate people for their time?
   - What is the process for collecting materials and how do you make
   pathways more visible to potential donors of sensitive materials?
   - How can we enable community-driven description practices for dynamic
   content?
   - How are archivists and documentarians handling the issue of consent?
   What kind of advising happens around collecting tweets?

The online event takes place *via Zoom on Friday, March 22nd from
10:00AM-11:30AM EST. *
Registration is free and open to the public with limited registration
spots.
Register for the round-table here:
<https://bcc1_borndigitalethics.eventbrite.com/>
https://bcc1_borndigitalethics.eventbrite.com
Your registration confirmation email includes a link Zoom call info at the
bottom.

Very best,
Alex

*Alexandra M. Chassanoff*

Research Program Officer, Educopia Institute

Email: [log in to unmask]

Web: http://softarchitectures.wordpress.com

Twitter: amchass <https://twitter.com/amchass>