The only software package that I've heard of that fits that bill is Varonis
<https://www.varonis.com/products/data-classification-engine/>, which seems
to be one of Spirion's competitors.  Honestly, if you're seriously
considering uploading PII to your archival storage, there really is no such
thing as "overkill".  I'm not totally familiar with the regulatory
consequences for SSNs and credit card info being leaked, but for HIPAA/PHI
at least the fines can be quite high.  Even if there aren't regulatory
penalties incurred, you should consider the fact that any leaked
information could be potentially life-altering for any of the individuals
whose info you've publicized, and that you might easily be sued and lose
more money than whatever the cost of Varonis or Spirion might be.

Overall, this is a matter where you really should consult internally with
your university's security/IT department.  While it's true that you could
implement some bespoke, homegrown solution for detecting PII with regex,
the stakes are high enough that you really don't want to be messing around
with this without more finely-honed cybersecurity expertise.