Hi Gagandeep et al,

I am working on setting this up as part of my integration right now. We are
moving from Sierra, which uses a non-encrypted SIP connection, to Alma,
which is encrypted using Stunnel. The SIP protocol is not secure at all.
It's a known shortcoming. The options, as far as I can tell, are to just
live with unencrypted data, to use a VPN between your self-check station
and the ILS/LSP, or to use something like Stunnel to encrypt your message
on the self-check machine and then decrypt it on the ILS/LSP server. The
choice is based entirely on how your ILS/LSP vendor handles it. If they
don't have a method for handling Stunnel-encrypted SIP messages, there's
nothing you can do about it (except complain I guess).

In Alma, the LSP assigns us a random SSL certificate that contains a public
key for encrypting the data. On the backend somewhere, they have a matching
private key that knows how to decrypt that data into a plain SIP message.
Stunnel intercepts the data before it leaves your self-check station and
encrypts it into a meaningless blob of text. The vendor has set up a
process on their server to decrypt the data before trying to process it as
a SIP message.

Joshua Welker
Library Systems and Discovery Coordinator
James C. Kirkpatrick Library
University of Central Missouri
Warrensburg, MO 64093
JCKL 2260