While I have not used the NSF API, its documentation mentions
"publicationResearch" and "publicationConference".  These might give you
the citations you're looking for.

As far as I know, each agency runs their own infrastructure for
reporting on grants and therefore will have their own API.

You might also try searching Google Scholar and other literature
databases for the grant number to see where it's mentioned in the text
of an article.  Publishers are increasingly storing such data in article
metadata as well, so in the long run, I expect this kind of searching on
publications will become easier.

Kevin