Following on Kyle's suggestions,

One of my libraries ran a weeding project to cull 50% of the physical book collection. I created shelflist spreadsheets that included a two barcode columns -- one in 3of9 font and one in human readable font -- as well as usage stats.

I'm sure I'm not getting the exact order right; but there were four or five people in the project and 10K items were culled with a minimum of accidental loss. This also included having to pack everything in boxes and physically remove the items from the library for renovations.

1. The full shelflist report was printed with minimum information and the scannable barcode.
2. Shelf checker would take 5 sheets at a time to shelves.
	A. Read shelf
	B. Mark item NOS on list if not on shelf
	C. Scan item barcode into Excel spreadsheet from laptop on a cart
	D. Place item in box (keep) or on second cart (discard) as appropriate
3. Sheets were handed off to cataloger for review of NOS
	A. Confirm NOS
	B. Decide if lost or missing
	C. Decide how to withdraw as appropriate
	D. Pass to collections librarian for purchase in ebook or replacement physical copy as needed.
4. Excel spreadsheet was compared (by team lead) against original shelflist report via VLOOKUP (I think). This had to do with keepers vs. discards. In particular, were the discards really going to be recycled or sent to off-site storage project.

Thanks, Lesli
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged, confidential, and/or protected from disclosure. This e-mail message may contain protected health information (PHI); dissemination of PHI should comply with applicable federal and state laws. If you are not the intended recipient, or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, any further review, disclosure, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message or any attachment (or the information contained therein) is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all references to it and its contents from your systems.