From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Alexander Duryee <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, April 8, 2019 9:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Help with XML files?

This email came from an external source.

Mackenzie,

For crosswalking XML metadata, the go-to tool is XSLT, which can be used to
transform one XML document into another.  XSLT for repository metadata is a
common scenario in libraries; the code4lib journal has a number of articles
on the matter (https://journal.code4lib.org/?s=xslt).  In particular,
https://journal.code4lib.org/articles/1647 may be exactly what you're
looking for re: ProQuest->Digital Commons crosswalking.

For automating the entire process - any scripting language of choice
(Python, Ruby, command-line scripts, et al) ought to be sufficient for
taking the ProQuest ZIP, extracting the contents, running XSLT (or using an
appropriate XML/XSLT library for the language), and generating a
crosswalked XML file.  The SAA Electronic Records Section has some
excellent posts on processing metadata via scripting/the command line -
https://saaers.wordpress.com/.

Regards,
--Alex