Janice,

We built an Inventory Tool for Alma that validates information as items are
pulled off shelves.  Perhaps this could be modified to meet your needs.

https://github.com/Georgetown-University-Libraries/AlmaInventory

Terry

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 11:58 AM Janice Banser <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> SFU library is planning a major weeding project, many tens of thousands of
> volumes spread across a floor of our library and we are on a tight
> deadline. (so not a lot of time for in-house development)  We're
> identifying lists of weeding candidates using a combination of tools
> including Alma (our ILS), Greenglass, spreadsheets, etc. The next step will
> be to send student shelvers into the stacks with booktrucks, laptops, and
> barcode scanners. The idea is that they'll have an application or interface
> that prompts them what to look for, sourced from a master spreadsheet
> without the ability to write directly back to Alma or the Master
> spreadsheet. They will scan barcodes to capture pulled items. In the case
> of missing items or other problems, we want them to take notes for future
> follow-up.
>
> In the past we have done this kind of weed with paper lists. Trucks of
> books are pulled, lists are noted with problems, etc. Then the books go to
> tech services for re-wanding to create sets, and the inventory deletion can
> proceed. We know about applications like Book-Be-Gone. What's different
> about this weed is the scale. We'll be pulling multiple trucks of books
> every day. We need an efficient workflow that can handle this volume of
> weeds. Paper lists won't cut it.
>
> We are looking for a tool that would draw from the Master spreadsheet that
> contains, on a per line basis, info about a single book.  What we envision
> is that the info about a single book, taken from a line in the spreadsheet,
> would display on a screen and the shelver would input some info, such as
> "yes, I pulled this book off the shelf", then, after they noted what they
> had done with the book, the info they inputted into the display would be
> written to the spreadsheet (a copy?), adding to the line on the spreadsheet
> that pertained to the book in question.  After the shelver was done
> inputting info for a single book, the display would proceed to show the
> next book listed in the spreadsheet.
>
> We are interested in hearing from any libraries that have carried out a
> weeding project of this scale, bonus if you use Alma. 😊 What APIs,
> workflows, tools, (Alma features), etc. were you able to use to make things
> easier? Did you build additional applications for the staff, and did they
> integrate with Alma if you use Alma?
>
> Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice on this.
>
> Janice

> Janice Banser, Systems Librarian
>
> Simon Fraser University Library

Terry Brady
Applications Programmer Analyst
Georgetown University Library Information Technology
https://github.com/terrywbrady/info
425-298-5498 (Seattle, WA)