Code4libbers -

Sending around a reminder of the CFP for Maintainers III: Practice, Policy
and Care, a conference that will be help in Washington DC in October
(official blurb and more details below). I know there are a ton of smart
folks in this community who have a lot of experience with and things to say
about maintaining software and information, and I'd love to see some
proposals from all of you!

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Hillel

----------------------

Maintainers III: Practice, Policy, and Care (MIII)
<http://themaintainers.org/miii> is the third in a series of conferences
that celebrates and unpacks the concepts of maintenance, infrastructure,
repair, and the myriad forms of labor and expertise that sustain our
human-built world. MIII will be held in Washington, D.C. from October 6-9,
2019 at the Kellogg Conference Hotel (Gallaudet University).

Goals of Maintainers III:

   - Bring together practitioners, policy-makers, researchers, and
   activists who have deep engagements with maintenance
   - Develop and sustain communities of practice in specialized areas
   - Contribute to a broad public movement around the importance of
   maintenance and maintainers in modern life

Call for Proposals:

Distinct from Maintainers I <http://themaintainers.org/program/> and
Maintainers
II <http://themaintainers.org/maintainers-ii-program/>, MIII will feature 4
maintenance tracks including Information Maintenance, Transportation
Maintenance, Software and Open Source Maintenance and General Maintenance.
Visit the Maintainers III About <http://themaintainers.org/miii> webpage to
read more about the focus of each track.

We welcome a variety of submissions types in all maintenance tracks,
including:

   - Panels that provide diverse perspectives
   - Papers that highlight research findings, policy briefings, or case
   studies
   - Workshops that both engage and allow for thoughtful discussion
   - Lightning Talks, that summarize topics in 5 minutes
   - Alternative Submissions that don’t neatly fit the other descriptions.

You can read more about each submission type and submit your proposal on
the Maintainers III Submit a Proposal
<http://themaintainers.org/miii-submit-proposal> webpage.

Key Dates:

20 March 2019 — Save the Date and Call for Proposals announced

13 May 2019 — Deadline for all proposal submissions

24 June 2019 — Proposal acceptance notifications sent

24 June 2019 — Conference registration opens

13 September 2019 — Early bird registration deadline

6-9th October 2019 — Maintainers III: Practice, Policy, and Care

The MIII Planning Committee will continue to update the website with
resources - for now, check out our Attendee Resources
<http://themaintainers.org/miii-attendee-resources>page for more
information on MIII’s Code of Conduct and Accessibility FAQ. We sincerely
hope you will join us in October 2019 and help to shape the discussion of
Practice, Policy, and Care!

MIII Planning Committee:

Hillel Arnold

Juliana Castro

Tabitha Decker

Don Goodman-Wilson
Shannon Mattern
Mehdi Medjaoui

Jessica Meyerson
Andy Russell
Raquel Velho

Lee Vinsel
Carole Voulgaris

Chela Scott Weber

Questions?

Contact Andy Russell ([log in to unmask]), Lee Vinsel (
[log in to unmask]), or Jessica Meyerson ([log in to unmask]).