Has anybody here used the NSF (National Science Foundation) API to identify citations coming from a grant?

The NSF has a simple API for querying grants. See --> https://www.research.gov/common/webapi/awardapisearch-v1.htm  Based on what I read, no citation data is associated with awards. In other words, after an award has been granted, list the publications associated with it. Am I missing something?

For example, here is a link to an award --> https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1449469  At the bottom of the output is a list (of one) citation. I'd like to extracxt that citation, programatically and without screen scraping. (Yuck.)

More broadly, given an award identifier from NSF, NIH, etc, how might you suggest (programmatically) finding citations generated from the awarded research?

--
Eric Morgan