Hi Kyle,

Archivematica runs on Linux operating systems, typically configured as a
Virtual Machine on a server (but also possible to be directly installed on
a server) and users access Archivematica through a web-based dashboard.
That dashboard can be accessed by any system that can run a modern
browser. Here's
a high-level technical architecture document
<https://www.archivematica.org/en/docs/archivematica-1.9/getting-started/overview/technical/#technical-arch>
.

I second John's advice for joining the Archivematica google group!

And for John's advice on "make sure you have someone very tech-savy
involved who's comfortable with debugging." -- I think that's appropriate
advice for any organization seeking to initiate a digital preservation
project. Digital preservation is a lot of work and requires many skillsets!
No turn-key, one-click solutions for such a major operation / field of
study.

I can't say I agree with the advice for sticking to one version and not
upgrading. In my experience, organizations that don't upgrade tend to have
more problems that go unresolved and have more bugs to battle. Some people
may prefer to wait a bit after a new release in order for a patch release
<https://wiki.archivematica.org/Release_Notes> to arrive and then update.
Recent Archivematica updates have produced a much more streamlined and
faster product than previous editions, thanks to community funding.

To get to your second question, Archivematica is preservation planning
software and can store the AIPs or DIPs wherever you like. It strives to be
system-agnostic in this way -- some people store on their local servers,
some in S3, some in Fedora, et cetera. There is also mechanisms for
creating and uploading DIPs to other systems -- AtoM, ArchivesSpace,
CONTENTdm are all supported options, among others. Archivematica comes
paired with another web-based dashboard service called the Storage Service
<https://www.archivematica.org/en/docs/storage-service-0.14/> that can
manage your AIPs and DIPs -- and many users do -- but they can also be
managed by other systems. Archivematica is highly customizable and able to
fit into the unique workflows of the wide variety of institutions within
the cultural heritage sector, which is why there are many possible paths
for how it can work for you.

Ashley