Hi Eric.

The Journal site (journal.code4lib.org) is a lightly modified WordPress site, and the indexing is whatever comes with WordPress. (I would guess it renders the HTML to flat text with no regard for authorship and reference sections.)  The issue is a WordPress category, the date is the WordPress post date (I think), and Title is the WordPress title.  Author is a field we added to WordPress, and it is just a text field (authors are undistinguished in the field).  Abstract is the WordPress summary.  I think the RSS feed from the Journal might be a good place to get much of the information, although in some cases (like Author), further processing would be required.  We also submit metadata to DOAJ (https://doaj.org/toc/1940-5758), the basis of which comes from a custom plugin; see, for example, http://journal.code4lib.org/issues/issue44/feed/doaj. (The coordinating editor downloads that file, manually checks/corrects XML errors, and uploads it too DOAJ.)

Hope this helps -- sounds like you are doing some interesting work!

Peter