This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits.

University of Alberta Libraries (UAL) is looking to fill a Senior Programmer Analyst position. Review of applications will begin on May 28th, 2019.

Are you interested in creating and developing applications to support new, innovative ways to distribute academic digital scholarship, and contributing to the next generation of digital repository services? Want to have a real impact on the academic research community and beyond?

Join a library charged with managing an increasingly diverse ecosystem of digital materials, tools, and services. Become part of a dynamic team that is committed to the use of open source, community-based technologies, and to following best practices in software engineering (Agile, code review, continuous integration, web accessibility, etc). Be part of a unit that values continuous learning, the open sharing of ideas, and that fosters respect and appreciation in the workplace.

We are looking for a committed and knowledgeable Senior Programmer Analyst. As a member of the Digital Initiatives and Information Technology Services Teams,  you will be responsible for identifying and analyzing problems, needs and opportunities for UAL to design and develop software systems and applications that support our institutional commitment to learning and research support within the university. You will design, develop and implement applications and tools to support a growing range of digital asset management use cases, including ingest, discovery, access, management, analysis, and preservation. We work with digital dissertations and theses, research data of many types, digitized library and archival materials, e-books, multimedia content, web archives, and other digital objects produced locally and abroad, along with metadata in many formats. You will be working on projects that focus on user experience, accessibility, sustainability, test-driven development, and peer-reviewed code management process.  Many of our applications are built with open-source components with an eye to collaboration with broader open-source communities and peer institutions. Almost all of the code we develop is open-source (the only exceptions are where there are security reasons for keeping it closed). The incumbent will have the opportunity and expectation to be an active member of those communities and to continue to develop the reputation of UAL as a leader and innovator in digital repositories and support for scholarship.

Currently, the team works primarily in Ruby on Rails and MySQL/PostgreSQL with Docker, with some Java components, and manages its code on Github. We are eager to learn more new technologies and trends that could be applied in library application development. We strive to adopt industry-standard solutions and strong adherence to the best code management and documentation practices to increase the sustainability of our work. Our applications are founded on the user needs that we determine from user testing, and we employ a user-centred design approach to our work.

Details and Applicant is available at: https://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/S101738916/

----
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/33244-senior-programmer-analyst