I agree with everything Kyle said except that it doesn't make you better at
other things. The sysadmin skills I learned in figuring out self-hosting
have transferred to many parts of my career inside and outside libraries
and have helped me land jobs several times. Of course that's a pretty
selfish motivation. And if you have no desire/need for that skill set then
yes it is a total waste. Whether those skills will add value to your
library depends entirely on what kind of projects and initiatives you have
going on. I imagine for many people the answer is "no, they will not add
value," but there is a non-zero number of us who do get value from it.

In terms of dollars saved, self-hosting is much more expensive in the short
term but much cheaper in the long term. If I multiply my hourly wage by the
number of hours I spent in initial server config on year one, it would have
been probably an order of magnitude cheaper to do managed hosting. But
after the initial configuration is done, the amount of work is a few
minutes a month running `apt-get upgrade` and downloading backups, so the
labor issue eventually becomes insignificant.

Joshua Welker
Library Systems and Discovery Coordinator
James C. Kirkpatrick Library
University of Central Missouri
Warrensburg, MO 64093
JCKL 2260