That EpubPress extension looks really useful! I'll have to try that out.

For what it's worth, I'm the one responsible for creating the epub files
for the recent issues of the *Weave Journal of Library User Experience, *you
can see an example at the top of the latest issue here:
https://www.weaveux.org/

My method is somewhat manual and involve some HTML surgery (mostly removing
headers and footers, just keeping the main content divs), but then I use
Pandoc to sew everything together into a valid epub, and it works pretty
darn well: https://pandoc.org/

Probably not suitable for reading one-off articles as epubs, but it works
pretty well for us on the publishing side and takes maybe 30 minutes each
time we publish an issue of *Weave *for a nice added feature.