The ORCID API is documented at https://members.orcid.org/api. Despite the URL this includes information on the public API as well https://members.orcid.org/api/about-public-api

In case it is of any interest, in the UK Jisc has run several hackdays around using the ORCID API and there are some outputs from the latest round at https://github.com/adammoore/corda/wiki/Hackday-outputs

The hackday had a slightly broader topic than just working with the API so not all the outputs might be relevant, but in particular you might be interested in the app I wrote which is designed to retrieve information based on an institution identifier (Ringgold).

The app is at https://powerful-chamber-19570.herokuapp.com
The code is at https://github.com/ostephens/orcid-node

The app finds all ORCIDs related to a specific institution based on ringgold ID using:

https://pub.orcid.org/v2.0/search/?q=ringgold-org-id:<ringgold ID>&rows=200

200 is max records you can retrieve in one go so you have to page through results 200 at a time

Details for an individual ORCID can be retrieved using

https://pub.orcid.org/v2.1/<orcid>

This returns XML by default. You can change this by setting a http Accept header in your request

To demo the app above this is the URL for USRA affiliated ORCIDs:
https://powerful-chamber-19570.herokuapp.com/?ringgold=8371

As Kyle noted, retrieving data on ORCIDs with some ‘affiliation’ to your institution requires that the person who the ORCID is for has stated that they are affiliated (either as employee or as student) to your institution. In addition you can control whether data on your ORCID profile is public or not. Because the app I’ve written uses the public API only, then I only can only access data that has been set as public by the ORCID owner. This is a key point of ORCID - data is under the researchers control - but it makes for challenges in terms of instituitons getting a clear view of who in their institution has an ORCID and what data is recorded.

The other place you may find integrations with the ORCID API in an institution is in CRIS systems - CRIS systems that integrate with ORCID can be used to help with the other issue Kyle noted - keeping the liset of publications on ORCID up to date.

Finally, on a slightly more general point, if you want an introduction to Web APIs such as the one used by ORCID then I wrote this a few years ago which might be helpful http://www.meanboyfriend.com/overdue_ideas/2016/06/introduction-to-apis-using-iiif/

Best wishes

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting