I am happy to see the positive turn in this conversation. I agree that
discussion of the topic is valid, and good-faith criticism of the published
piece (not just complaining about the fact that it was posted) is also
valid.

I agree that adding some methodological rigor to the article might make it
more powerful and credible. An IRB might not be appropriate--does the
author even belong to an institution with an IRB?--but there are standard
journalism codes of ethics like this one:
https://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp. There are some helpful points about
anonymous sources, transparency, and labeling advocacy that could improve
the article without watering down its message.

Joshua Welker
Library Systems and Discovery Coordinator
James C. Kirkpatrick Library
University of Central Missouri
Warrensburg, MO 64093
JCKL 2260