From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Kate Deibel <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 3, 2019 2:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] From the Community Support Squad wrt "Note [admiistratativia]"

Yes, you, Francis, and Mark publicly committed to working to expand the role of the CSS/CSVs at C4L19 via Mark's lightning talk. You three did drop the ball in announcing the conference volunteers would be continuing their roles. They were vetted and approved for the conference only. People may have objections to them serving community conduct roles in other venues. Furthermore, you have restricted participation to a narrow group. Not everyone could be a CSV at a conference. Maybe they weren't able to attend? Maybe they had additional duties to perform?

All that is a separate issue from the "request" (really a directive since it comes from a place of authority) being told to stop posting. Yes, it does effectively hinder future harm from that conversation, but it also constrains any productive conversation as well. This is where the opaqueness debate comes in. There was no awareness of the CSS, its membership, and its authority (which the current CoC implies they have no enforcement). Furthermore, halting a conversation until the CSS group issues a PR is opaque because we have no timeframe or window into that process.

Finally, I ask you all to consider the effects of basing CoC conversations around git terminology. Not everyone uses git or has a GitHub account. Not everyone gets git terminology. It took me more than a few minutes to remember what else PR could mean besides "public relations." How will the CSS support people ensure that git is not a barrier to community participation.

Katherine Deibel | PhD
Inclusion & Accessibility Librarian
Syracuse University Libraries
T 315.443.7178