On Jul 11, 2019, at 4:09 PM, Kate Deibel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> For people who lack either github or git knowledge and don't want to just try to read the diff outputs, here are the links you need...
>
> --
> Katherine Deibel | PhD
> Inclusion & Accessibility Librarian
> Syracuse University Libraries
> T 315.443.7178
> 222 Waverly Ave., Syracuse, NY 13244
> Syracuse University

One thing I hope to see in the revision/update to our codes-of-conduct is in regards to signatures; personally, I think each posting to the mailing list ought to be non-anonymous.

With the advent of some sort of new SMTP enhancement called DMARC, it is possible to post to LISTSERV applications (like ours) and have your email address obfuscated, like above. This is apparently a feature. [0] Yes, direct replies to an address like [log in to unmask] do make it back to the original sender, but without some sort of signature can be very difficult to know to whom one is replying.

I think any poster to the mailing ought to be easily identifiable. One ought to be able to easily know the name of the poster, their affiliation, and their email address. Such makes things: 1) more transparent, and 2) lends credibility to the post. Even if I don't sign this message you can see that my name is Eric Morgan, I work for Notre Dame, and my address is [log in to unmask] The posting above works because there is/was a full signature. Postings from [log in to unmask] are difficult to swallow but I can live with them. But postings from EM <[log in to unmask]> with no signature I think are not respectful. Remember, "On the Internet, nobody knows you are a dog." [1]

[0] dmarc - https://www.lsoft.com/news/dmarc-issue1-2018.asp
[1] dog - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you're_a_dog

--
Eric Morgan