On Jul 14, 2019, at 8:36pm, Eric Lease Morgan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> IMHO, the Code4Lib mailing list should not be akin to an anonymous chat room where anyone can come in and say whatever they desire under the cloak of anonymity.
> One must be accountable for what they say, and accountability is increased by knowledge of the source. It is similar to information literacy and citing one's references so the validity of an argument can be substantiated.

There is also the issue of bias.  Knowing, for example, that someone is from an institution or organization that has invested heavily in a particular platform or toolset can help put their views or advocacy into context.

I think allowing anonymous or pseudonymous posts in this context decreases the integrity and value of the discourse.

Ed

--
Edward Almasy <[log in to unmask]>
Director  •  Internet Scout Research Group