I also don't typically weigh in here, but I feel compelled to mention that
there are conferences that have given a lot of thought to the problem of
uncollegial reviews. The Digital Humanities 2020 conference
<https://dh2020.adho.org/>, for example, offers extensive guidelines for
both submitters *and* reviewers. They are experimenting with an open peer
review system, and the conference organizers have written a thoughtful
explanation of why
<https://dh2020.adho.org/guidelines/the-open-peer-review-process/>, and I
encourage anyone who is involved with any kind of review process to take a
look.

We're all responsible for creating the environments and institutions we
want to see. I'd encourage some self-reflection here about why we equate
certain types of criticism with intellectual rigor.

All the best,
Sarah

--
Sarah Melton