From: Sarah Middleton <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Opening the BitList for 2019
Date: July 12, 2019 at 5:15:10 AM EDT
To: <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Dear all,

As many of you will know the DPC publishes the ‘BitList’ – the ‘Global List of Digitally Endangered Species’. <https://www.dpconline.org/our-work/bit-list/>  We introduced it in 2017 as a supplement to our advocacy activities and it’s been a significant and surprising success, allowing us to raise awareness about digital preservation in material terms but in ways that are also readily understood by a wide audience.

The list was initiated through an open nomination process which is then processed by a panel of subject matter experts drawn from across the DPC membership, who meet as a jury to assess the claims made and to categorise the risks.  We promised to review the list annually, and in every second year to undertake a wider consultation, allowing for new nominations alongside a complete re-assessment of the current list. It’s time to begin that work again for the 2019 BitList.

On Monday you will see a series of announcements about the BitList being open for nominations.  Please can I ask you all to distribute and amplify that message so that colleagues and partners around the world hear about the BitList and are encouraged to make submissions.

As a bonus to DPC members, I am pleased to report that the BitList is already open for nominations – just not published yet. I’d really like to encourage you to give it a go.

It’s linked here: http://bit.ly/BitList2019

We will announce the results in November – specifically on World Digital Preservation Day which is November 7th which by happy coincidence this year is themed around ‘At Risk Content’.

Thanks in advance,

William

Dr William Kilbride FSA
Executive Director, The Digital Preservation Coalition

My email hours are 0800-1000 Monday-Friday
http://www.dpconline.org/
@williamkilbride
0141 330 2252

We’ve announced the Winners of the Digital Preservation Awards 2018<https://dpconline.org/events/digital-preservation-awards>

--
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent and does not constitute legal advice.  We cannot accept any responsibility for viruses, so please scan all attachments. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the DPC.  Registered in England No: 4492292