Hi Andrew,
I wonder if this a problem with Photoshop not reading the exif metadata
tags (or rather, the tags where the resolution is stored). You might take a
look at the exif output (exiftool[1] is nice, I'm sure there's a Python
wrapper for it) and compare the values of the tags. If necessary, you could
update the tags Photoshop wants to read with the correct values.

HTH.
Best,
Bridger

[1] https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/